Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Sun Rise

I am certainly not a writer and I never thought I would blog.

Sometimes events occur that are so small, yet so profound, that you want to shout about them from the roof top.

On Monday, July 30th, Sun Microsystems released their fourth quarter and fiscal year 2007 financial results using their
website and an rss feed as a primary delivery channel.


This is a historic event because:
  1. It is an official recognition of a corporate IR website and RSS as a primary delivery channel.

  2. It is an incremental step towards the widespread adoption of "interactive data", as it would not be hard to imagine a link to an XML/XBRL based financial statement.

  3. It will engage a different audience. It will engage a younger, facebook/twitter/widget audience that needs to start retirement planning.

Congratulations to Sun and all those involved in this "small step for mankind".

While I was at the Sun website I saw a nice toy ... I'm off to update my Christmas wishlist with a Sun Ultra 40 M2 Workstation .

CJS







No comments: